Monday, September 26, 2011

A Cathedral

In my hometown, when I was growing up, there was a big buzz when the diocese decided to build a new church. A cathedral no less. It turned out to be a boxy lil thing and perhaps because I was unfazed by it, the significance of a cathedral has always been lost on me.

When I finally dragged myself into the square of the Cathedral of St James in Santiago de Compostella, I was physically, mentally and spiritually broken in so many pieces - 3 months later, I am realising that I had not done so many things. Such as sitting in silence at the square to marvel at this work of men.

I am currently re-reading the Pillars of the Earth, of Tom Builder's quest to as a master builder in the ye old days, to build a cathedral. It says that a "cathedral looms high above all things around it so that it draws one's eyes heavenward - towards God."

The Cathedral of St James is indeed a work to be marveled at. Built in the days where there were no such things as concrete mixers, cranes that goes hundreds of feet high, I can only imagine, using the book, how much work went into building it. All in the name of giving glory to God. And it was in His name that this feat was accomplished. That it still stands today for one and all to see.

In the midst of all financial madness, a new dream has sprouted. To go back to Santiago for a week. Just to sit in front of this wonderment and be still in amazement of what God can do. It is a mad dream. Cos I have just placed a commitment towards a new home. One that is half a million of doors over my initial budget.

Yet, something in me tells me that a year from now, on the anniversary of my initial pilgrimage, I will have the funds to not only bring myself but also my partner back to Santiago. To do as I did not the first time round.

~ Your Will be Done ~

No comments:

Post a Comment