Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Elephants & Ants

Here are the UK statistics on liver cancer:

  • Only about 1 out of 10 people (10%) are diagnosed in the early stages of this disease when surgery can help -> Dad appears to have fallen into this category!
  • Overall, around 20% of people live for at least 1 year after diagnosis.
  • Around 1 in 20 people (5%) live for at least 5 years.

In the 7 days since he has been diagnosed to have yet another tumour, this time on his liver, I have just had about everything drained out of me. But more importantly, my peace has been snatched right out from under me by the mere simple reason that everyone quietly whispers around corners of me being "ye of little faith."

I am not one of those people with a perversion in exclaiming "My father has cancers!" Trust me - if the tests turns out that they were merely harmless tumours, I would be the first to go on my knees, kiss the grounds and jump around shouting "Hallelujah" like them Hari-krishnans in the hippy days of the '60s.

I believe (as said in the book Angels and Demons) - Science and Faith can co-exists. I believe God allowed medicine to be a career choice because sometimes, He needs a pair of physical hands to do His work for Him! And with medicine - there is no "one step" at a time because with this sort of illness - time is of the essence.

Using the pictograms that I use with Lydia to talk about her emotions - today I am:

  • Disappointed - At the state of healthcare and medicine in my country. At my financial health that is preventing me from flying my parents out 1st class to where my faith in Medicine is most firm.
  • Envious - That other people see ants and I don't - I only see the blinking blimey elephant and try as I may to pretend 'it's furniture that came with the house', I bloody can't!
  • Frustrated - Everything step, every action is a hitting a wall FROM BOTH SIDES!
  • Angry - That people think all my running around is a waste of time because God will sort it out. That I allow the opinions of people to affect me in such a way that I am all these emotions today.
Today, I am still.

No comments:

Post a Comment