Friday, April 8, 2011

Harsh Realities

A week in and I am beginning to ponder on the harsh reality of making this trip: Money!

Mind you, the Euro is now standing at some RM 4.38 per euro and so far, the budget stands as follows:
  • Transport - EUR 50 for bus from Madrid to Sarria and GBP 100.00 for flight from Santiago de Compostella to London Stansted and on to Cork, Ireland
  • Accommodation - 6 nights on a single supplement, which includes breakfast, dinner and luggage transfer EUR 730.00
  • Pocket money for lunch and the odd dinner - EUR 15 per day for 7 days which totals to EUR 105
In my currency, that is slightly over RM 4500.00, which to put into perspective, is about 80% of one month's take home salary. And that is not taking into account the things I would need to buy beforehand - a new pair of hiking shoes and proper trekking clothes which will easily add another RM 500.00 to that sum. That is A LOT of moolah indeed.

I am trying not to think what I could do with that money, the bills that it could pay or the material goods that it could buy. I know no amount of money can replace the experience.

I just need to wrap my head around it and trust that it will be provided for, somehow, someway.

I wonder if I'd be able to save some if I backpacked it instead.... insane as that may sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment