Thursday, April 21, 2011

World Without Borders

I bought a Camino guide and have been reading it. One of the key themes that struck me was how on the Camino, it is almost a world without borders.

Yes, you may be in France, Netherlands or Spain but the warmth, welcome, camaraderie will almost make these facts a negligible one. Even before I have started on the physical journey, I have already enjoyed the "welcome" by folks who have walked the Camino before. A colleague in Cork will be waiting for me to arrive back in Ireland so that we can sit in her garden over dinner and exchange our experiences.

It is indeed reassuring - to know that in the wilderness of Northern Spain, I will not be alone if I choose not to.

But the most stark realisation of this post would be this: You don't have to go thousands of miles away to experience welcome and camaraderie! Folks around you are always more than willing to help - if we but ask.

And yes, it is always okay to sit down at a bus stop by the side of the Federal Highway, throw your hands up in the air and no - not wave it like you just don't care, but just say "I'm tired and I need your help."

No comments:

Post a Comment