Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Capping Stone

It is a strange feeling, to have planned and worked towards something and then to achieve it. Because I have been in pain from tendinitis of the right ankle and left knee and having to move myself from one country to the other (Yes, I am in Ireland now), I am just sitting down to soak it all in.

For the next couple of days, Dublin will be “home” and I have to say, it is with much relief – I am at least able to understand and be understood here. Also, I will be here for more than 24 hours which is a welcomed change after a week of literally being on the road.

I am officially a pilgrim. Went out bright and early in the rain in Santiago this morning to get my compostela. A piece of paper written in Latin on which there is not a single word, save my name, which I understand.

But what does it all mean? Have I achieved what I wanted to achieve? Aside from physically pushing my body to the limits and my mind stretched like taffy – what else did I get out of this? And then again – what does it mean to be a pilgrim?

My Camino online friend, Claire wrote on my Facebook wall that she had met up with some Puerto Ricans on her way and they had mentioned me. I gather that would be Ruth whom I met somewhere between Portomarin and Palas de Rei.

I would like to think that those I had time to share my story with, had felt a difference and in that difference remembered me to others, and not simply because I am the Asian girl from Malaysia. I have promised Chris that I will send her a copy of Dad’s book when I return home because Rachel and her did the Camino the way I had intended to – in prayer (Ma – 6 rounds of Rosaries they said each day!)

I am in a state of gratefulness and wonderment. Kinda like a child on Christmas morning – where did all these presents suddenly come from?! I may be close to RM 5000 poorer but I am definitely certain that I am at least half a lifetime richer in experience.

What is next?

Andreas from Germany says his next goal is to climb Kilimanjaro. Dietrich also of Germany (aged 71 mind you) says next time he will start not from Lyon but from the very beginning up in the Netherlands. Lisa of Canada will have to decide what she wants to do with her career. Gambor of Hungary will have to decide if he wants to remain in Switzerland with the love of his life or pack up and go back to Budapest. Ruth from Puerto Rico hopes that she will return home closer to God. Paul of Belgium wants to spend more time doing the things he had always dreamed of doing but never got round to. And Claire from Australia will have to decide if she goes out to work or go back to studying.

Dad said that I may or may not see God’s plan for me immediately after the Camino and I gather that is about right. After all, His World is an ever evolving one – the big picture may remain but because He created us in His Likeness and still gave us free will – the lil bits to getting there may always be changing.

But for now, I want my eyes, ears, mouth and heart to remain as open as it is now. To lose the notion of “it is my way, or hit the highway!” To not worry that for “every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction” and let that worry hold me back.

For these two are my definition of what it means to totally surrender my life to His hands and His will.

And if there is a bigger picture out there with my name on it that I do not yet see – Cies La Vie! It will come, when it is meant to be.

Thank you for following this blog. I hope it has brought some meaning to your life as much as walking these 118 km did to mine.

God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Thank You for writing this!

    This is an intresting experience.
    Last entry reminds me a lot of experience I had in Finisterre, but the journey still moves on.

    May I write you a private mail?

    All the best!

    Radek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Would love to hear from you. You can write me at lexy30@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete