Monday, June 13, 2011

The Difference of A Day

"What a difference a day makes" goes the song in my head. I finally made it to Villamaior - 7.5km away from Santiago de Compostela. I have walked in 4 days 110 km.

This morning, I said that nothing that the day brings will throw me off. As I sit here cooling down, I cannot believe I was THAT naive!

A German family who is staying here after arriving in Santiago this morning told me - tomorrow is a new day and tomorrow I will be happy for I will be arriving. The man also told me today it had nothing to do with the distance I did - didn't I do the same yesterday? The only difference is all in my head, because yesterday - everyone was doing the 30-ish km stretch with me.

I have always said: What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger. But I don't exactly feel that right now. I feel like a crumpled heap. I caved and I broke and I lost my hat in the process.

Am I ashamed for sitting at the intersection, bawling like a babe? No. I think it was meant to be.  HE had intended it to be just so - how else would HE reach me? Truth be told, while I may have been having hymns of praise in my iPod playing, my mind was still wondering abouts. Except for that last stretch - I did everything I could to keep going. I prayed the rosary, I sang the hymns I grew up with, I cried for the Spirit to consume me just to carry my legs onward.

I think He heard me. Cos shortly after I had posted my last blog, this lil old lady came pacing up the road and quietly sat next to me. She didn't say a word. She just sat there, next to me and stared ahead at the road. And further on, 2 Austrian ladies appeared out of nowhere, also searching for their hostel for the night. And when we reached it, despite only having exchanged a few words with me, they turned, hugged and kissed me, wishing me luck on my way.

Every day since I have been on the road, I have had at least 1 person cross my path to show me some different thought. And everyday, I have also had persons come just as angels to keep me buoyant.

I am sorry that I had to come all this way, just to have my eyes opening to these facts which I believe happens everyday in my life back home as well.

And that is the difference that a day like today makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment