Saturday, June 11, 2011

From the Camino: Portomarin to Palas de Rei

I logged on to my Facebook to find a truly inspiring remind from Sam. It was a quote from the movie Forrest Gump, where he said: When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went. Lady: And so, you just WALK? F.Gump: Yes! I lost track of the number of times I had stopped and well, for the same distance as yesterday, I only managed to clear it in 9 hours. I cannot imagine tomorrow and the day after which has an extra 10km each.

My body is in such pain today, I am so tempted to cancel all my appointments in Dublin for Wednesday and Thursday, and just stay an extra 2 days so I can lie in bed tomorrow and not move. And despite all the precautions I took, I am today a proud owner of 3 baby blisters all on my toes.

But I have to say this: Perhaps God reads blogs! Cos last night, after I had uploaded my post and feeling so lost and forlorn, I met my 1st friend of the Camino - Paul of Belgium. Paul is cycling his way and he started 3 weeks ago from Antwerp. As I write this, he would have entered into Santiago already. I am grateful that he decided to camp out under a tree in the garden of the place I was staying at cos he spoke English (very selfish I know but hell!) The encouragement he gave (especially about food and needing to eat more to have the energy) went a long way especially this morning, needing to start out on Day 2.

Now, I know all about the Day 2 blues. But nothing prepared me for how my body would fight against my will. So I guess, it was further blessing that I met more people who spoke English and decided to give Spanish a serious go - I have now added about 20 other words to "hello" and "ice cream."

We all walk this way because we want to do something in a seriously big way. My walking companion for the last 10 km today was Carmen from Toronto. She started from France and Dad - she's about as big as you are. I also met another lady, Nicole who is on her 3rd run of the Camino. And she speaks of doing it differently next year as if it is a given thing.

There were no major realisations today simply because I was paying my pain too much attention. If God is tuning in today - I'm gonna ask simply for this: Shut my pain receptors down tomorrow so that I don't turn around, get on a bus and say "screw this!"

Till the next time I find free internet again- Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment