Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Half Day / Half Time

What a crazy morning it has been! The ‘locker experience’ at the train stations really knocked my socks off me. Well, I suppose I should thank my lucky stars that the dude manning the place finally took pity on me and changed EUR 1 for me into coins, sparring me another trip out with my big bag – who in heavens name would have thought the machines only took exact change!
I have seen a lot of Madrid’s metro system in the 3 hours that I have been here. Everything else has been a blur.

Made my way from Chamartin station to Puerta del Sol for the Amigos de Camino de Santiago (Friends of the Way of St James) office. So much for my “let’s wing it without my travel foldies”
  - these lil booklets I make with specific walking directions from Google Map.

At this point I am gonna shout “Bloody Hell” as a bird just came and took a nip off my sandwich while my attention was tuned on writing this out!


Anyways, back to the Amigos office. 2 wrong turns, stopping to ask (point to my address sheet) for directions and finally finding it located in a proper office block. Along the way, my focus on the mission was severely tested as the street was lined with lots of shopping opportunities. AND EVERYONE OF THEM IS ON SALE!


The folks at the Amigos office were sweet dears. No one who worked there looked a day under 60. I kid you not! It’s as if they are veterans and is manning the office to keep the Way alive. I had to fill out this form that was written in Spanish. A bit of fiddly-do later, I was directed to the front desk where after 30 seconds exclamations sound and a flurry of Spanish later I caught the word “Malaysia”.


And that was followed by another flurry of Spanish. Fortunately a nice gentleman (Jose) who was there to get his credential as well knew some English and translated for me. Apparently, it was not done that I have traveled all this way to Spain to do the Camino and only walk the last 100 km. I, apparently, am wasting my efforts by not starting from the starting point 800 km away. Bejesus! Talk about Great Expectations!


The Ladies filling out my credential

Anyways, all said and done, I got my credential which I am to have chopped twice a day. And if tomorrow nothing is open in Sarria at 6 am for me before I push off, I was advised to head to the police station. Erm someone should tell them that where we come from – the police station is always the last place you wanna ever step into! And oh! The credential was only handed over after a promised was weedled out to come back and do the whole way.


Right – so with my lunch in the Parque del Retiro (which is this huge park ala Lake Gardens), I have nothing left to do except catch a free tour later at 3 to see more of Madrid, then make my way back to the train station (by the by, I have decided to screw searching for the bath house!) and wait for my train to Sarria.


This is indeed history in the making!

No comments:

Post a Comment