Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Personal Legend

The Alchemist is going really slowly.

Perhaps that is too many distractions going through my head. Like if my bank will actually get back to me on a complaint about my card not wanting to work. Like if I will be able to find that bath house in Madrid tomorrow night for my bath. Like if the transport house will actually take the opportunity to charge me an arm and a leg for my 5kg excess.

But even then, 25 pages into the book, I have already learnt that maybe there is nothing too surreal about where I am right now.

The book says: "But, as time passes, a 'mysterious force' begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realise their Personal Legend." It then goes on to say: "It is a force that appears to be negative but actually shows you how to realise your Personal Legend."

How does one reconcile a simple pilgrimage to realising their Personal Legend? That is the question I am grappling with today. And which part of this pilgrimage is the realisation bit? Is it simply because it is a physically arduous task? But then again, nothing is too arduous - didn't Eddie Kidd prove it just yesterday with his 1-mile-a-day London Marathon?

Perhaps it is the financial aspects of it. To have gone from emptying everything I have in the bank, to have excesses to spend on a long walk in the wilds of Spain. But then again, didn't the priest in my church said in his sermon last weekend: these are human sufferings - it is part and parcel of being a human being and has nothing to do with the 'Holy' suffering.

I am realising that I need a lot of wisdom. To be able to decipher this wealth of knowledge that I have stumbled upon. But wisdom comes from experiences. Can I harness enough experience in the next few days to be able to break this mystery that is haunting me?

Maybe I am using too much of my human nature. *Argh* this state of stillness and silence is not helping me one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment